Thursday, June 18, 2009

Name that Gnome

Some of you know the story, others do not, but regardless it is a good one to tell and to hear! My wonderful and amazing 2008-09 coordinators (Desiree, Kyle, Giselle, Jen, Sarah, Rachel, Grace, Yao) gave me an awesome and perfect end-of-the-year gift and talisman for my summer adventures: a garden gnome. The gnome will be my travel companion this summer and you will all have the opportunity to see photos of the gnome's (and my) travels/adventures/journey.



BUT the gnome needs a name. I hearby announce the gnome naming contest. Please submit here on this very blog your ideas for a name for the gnome. (And don't ask me how to do that because this is my very first few moments ever blogging. I have no idea how this tool works!) I leave the last weekend of June, so send in your name suggestions soon. Vote early and often. Feel free to comment on each other's suggestions. (I hope this blog thing works the way I think it might work.) Oh, and I proclaim final decision making rights from the vast selection of names you are going to suggest - that's because I am the decider on this grand KVB adventure!

Now, NAME THAT GNOME!

13 comments:

  1. Grover, The Garden Gnome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEA! I am thrilled about the gnome and I am thrilled about this contest. I offer up Swedish-centric names for consideration: Tomte or Nisse.

    I have been thinking about the first day or Summer approaching as of this weekend, which turns my thoughts to MidSommar celebrations and all things Swedish...This is a round about way to explain that I have been thinking about Tomterna lately. Here is the wikipedia explanation of tomte: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomte

    May this tomte protect you on your journey and be a worthy companion. - Karin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suggest "The Mighty Meniscus" or just "Meniscus." The meniscus has sentimental value for me because it's the first scientific concept I can remember learning. If I ever get a grey, British shorthair kitty, I will name it Meniscus, so until then I will lend the name to you, my friend. Geez, what a nerd! (a preemptive response to the forthcoming ridicule)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of using this blog entry as a way to collect the gnome gnames...it's a gnatural!

    My gnome gname suggestion: Chomsky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is perfect, Kelly! How about Petunia (because that name doesn't make any sense for your gnome)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly, this is amazing and hilarious.

    Suggestion 1: Rachel Shen
    Suggestion 2: Sven

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelly, I'd say name him "Billy" in honor of the A's GM, but the organization probably couldn't afford it (he'd probably trade the gnome for the Cathy/Jackie/Ling & Kent panther).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love "Gnome Chomsky" and wish I had thought of it!. But I can only contribute Gnick or Gnelson the Gnome - the latter of which is a better nod to the Gnome-ish country of origin. There are several variations on that theme!

    I hope your trip is fabulous, Kel! Have a great time and keep us posted! xoxox.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was under the impression we were calling it "Natasha". But aaaaall right :) What about Beesley, Humpty, or Swizzle? Too cutesy? Perfect.

    If I had a vote, I would put it on Chomsky. Maybe you can also use this blog for summer updates too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too remember naming it Natasha (Gnatasha?) for the picture, but I think we can come up with something even more clever for it's journey this summer. I actually like the "Meniscus" idea because I think it's just a funny word...

    Other ideas: SISter, Gnarden the Garden Gnome, Haas van DJ (DJ for short?), Chomsky's also good

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Several friends and family have contributed names to me verbally. Here are some of their suggestions.

    Craig: Bollocks
    Pat: Gnomie,as in "travelin' with my Gnomie"
    James: Ignoble

    - Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  12. I vote Mister Pepper. I like Chomsky too.

    - Yao

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Kelly--here are a few suggestion:

    Crossroads Willy, Senor Espinazo, Herr Wanderlust, Quidam, and Gnomenclature.

    Safe travels,

    Jeff and Jon

    ReplyDelete