Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Day 2: Winnemucca, NV to Elko to Salt Lake City, Utah

The I80 Nevada experience – basin and range, basin and range, basin and range. Oh, and the apparently iconic I80 construction. It has been something like 15 years since I was last on I80 in NV. I think the same construction barrels and o
ne-lane traffic is still on the interstate.

Elko was a respite – Savitha called just as I was getting out of the car for a break. Just outside of Elko I found mountains, the Ruby Mountains. I felt so much better. Then there was big weather: big clouds and big winds. Soon I was winding through eastern NV foothills with energy and excitement.


Gnome (I'm trying "Clay" on for size, short for Gnomenclature suggested by Jeff) and I dropped down from the NV foothills into the Bonneville salt flats. It was stormy and beautiful – yes, the salt flats are beautiful!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Kelly, such beautiful pictures. Thanks for posting them, and for tlling us about your trip. I'm so glad we got to chat; it was a pleasant surprise to get a call back in response to my text, and I am happy we both had a few minutes to chat.

    I'm not sure how I feel about "Clay" as a Gnome Gname. Is that one of the suggestions you received? I do like Gnomad, though; I think it's a perfect fit, FWIW.

    Anyways, happy trails and safe travels and all that good stuff. Looking forward to staying in touch, online and off. xoxo

    ReplyDelete